Quotidien Hebdomadaire Mensuel

Quotidien Shaarli

Tous les liens d'un jour sur une page.

January 31, 2026

County pays $600,000 to pentesters it arrested for assessing courthouse security

arstechnica.com - Ars Technica
Dan Goodin – 29 janv. 2026 19:30

Settlement comes more than 6 years after Gary DeMercurio and Justin Wynn's ordeal began.

Two security professionals who were arrested in 2019 after performing an authorized security assessment of a county courthouse in Iowa will receive $600,000 to settle a lawsuit they brought alleging wrongful arrest and defamation.

The case was brought by Gary DeMercurio and Justin Wynn, two penetration testers who at the time were employed by Colorado-based security firm Coalfire Labs. The men had written authorization from the Iowa Judicial Branch to conduct “red-team” exercises, meaning attempted security breaches that mimic techniques used by criminal hackers or burglars.

The objective of such exercises is to test the resilience of existing defenses using the types of real-world attacks the defenses are designed to repel. The rules of engagement for this exercise explicitly permitted “physical attacks,” including “lockpicking,” against judicial branch buildings so long as they didn’t cause significant damage.

A chilling message
The event galvanized security and law enforcement professionals. Despite the legitimacy of the work and the legal contract that authorized it, DeMercurio and Wynn were arrested on charges of felony third-degree burglary and spent 20 hours in jail, until they were released on $100,000 bail ($50,000 for each). The charges were later reduced to misdemeanor trespassing charges, but even then, Chad Leonard, sheriff of Dallas County, where the courthouse was located, continued to allege publicly that the men had acted illegally and should be prosecuted.

Reputational hits from these sorts of events can be fatal to a security professional’s career. And of course, the prospect of being jailed for performing authorized security assessment is enough to get the attention of any penetration tester, not to mention the customers that hire them.

“This incident didn’t make anyone safer,” Wynn said in a statement. “It sent a chilling message to security professionals nationwide that helping [a] government identify real vulnerabilities can lead to arrest, prosecution, and public disgrace. That undermines public safety, not enhances it.”

DeMercurio and Wynn’s engagement at the Dallas County Courthouse on September 11, 2019, had been routine. A little after midnight, after finding a side door to the courthouse unlocked, the men closed it and let it lock. They then slipped a makeshift tool through a crack in the door and tripped the locking mechanism. After gaining entry, the pentesters tripped an alarm alerting authorities.

Within minutes, deputies arrived and confronted the two intruders. DeMercurio and Wynn produced an authorization letter—known as a “get out of jail free card” in pen-testing circles. After a deputy called one or more of the state court officials listed in the letter and got confirmation it was legit, the deputies said they were satisfied the men were authorized to be in the building. DeMercurio and Wynn spent the next 10 or 20 minutes telling what their attorney in a court document called “war stories” to deputies who had asked about the type of work they do.

When Sheriff Leonard arrived, the tone suddenly changed. He said the Dallas County Courthouse was under his jurisdiction and he hadn’t authorized any such intrusion. Leonard had the men arrested, and in the days and weeks to come, he made numerous remarks alleging the men violated the law. A couple months after the incident, he told me that surveillance video from that night showed “they were crouched down like turkeys peeking over the balcony” when deputies were responding. I published a much more detailed account of the event here. Eventually, all charges were dismissed.

DeMercurio and Wynn sued Dallas County and Leonard for false arrest, abuse of process, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and malicious prosecution. The case dragged on for years. Last Thursday, five days before a trial was scheduled to begin in the case, Dallas County officials agreed to pay $600,000 to settle the case.

It’s hard to overstate the financial, emotional, and professional stresses that result when someone is locked up and repeatedly accused of criminal activity for performing authorized work that’s clearly in the public interest. DeMercurio has now started his own firm, Kaiju Security.

“The settlement confirms what we have said from the beginning: our work was authorized, professional, and done in the public interest,” DeMercurio said. “What happened to us never should have happened. Being arrested for doing the job we were hired to do turned our lives upside down and damaged reputations we spent years building.”

FBI seizes RAMP cybercrime forum used by ransomware gangs

bleepingcomputer.com
By Lawrence Abrams
January 28, 2026

The FBI has seized the notorious RAMP cybercrime forum, a platform used to advertise a wide range of malware and hacking services, and one of the few remaining forums that openly allowed the promotion of ransomware operations.

Both the forum's Tor site and its clearnet domain, ramp4u[.]io, now display a seizure notice stating, "The Federal Bureau of Investigation has seized RAMP."

"This action has been taken in coordination with the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Florida and the Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section of the Department of Justice," the notice reads.

The seizure banner also appears to taunt the forum's operators by displaying RAMP's own slogan: "THE ONLY PLACE RANSOMWARE ALLOWED!," followed by a winking Masha from the popular Russian "Masha and the Bear" kid's cartoon.

While there has been no official announcement by law enforcement regarding this seizure, the domain name servers have now been switched to those used by the FBI when seizing domains:

Name Server: ns1.fbi.seized.gov
Name Server: ns2.fbi.seized.gov
If so, law enforcement now has access to a significant amount of data tied to the forum's users, including email addresses, IP addresses, private messages, and other potentially incriminating information.

For threat actors who failed to follow proper operational security (opsec), this could lead to identification and arrests.

In a forum post to the XSS hacking forum, one of the alleged former RAMP operators known as "Stallman" confirmed the seizure.

"I regret to inform you that law enforcement has seized control of the Ramp forum," reads the translated forum post.

"This event has destroyed years of my work building the freest forum in the world, and while I hoped this day would never come, I always knew in my heart it was possible. It's a risk we all take.

BleepingComputer contacted the FBI with question regarding the seizure but they declined to comment.

The RAMP cybercrime forum
The RAMP cybercrime forum launched in July 2021, following the banning of the promotion of ransomware operations by popular Russian-speaking Exploit and XSS hacking forums.

This ban was due to heightened pressure from Western law enforcement following the DarkSide ransomware attack on Colonial Pipeline.

Exploit banning ransomware promotion
Exploit banning ransomware promotion
In July 2021, a new Russian-speaking forum called RAMP launched, promoting itself as one of the last remaining places where ransomware could be openly promoted. This led to multiple ransomware gangs using the forum to promote their operations, recruit affiliates, and buy and sell access to networks.

RAMP was launched by a threat actor known as Orange, who also operated under the aliases Wazawaka and BorisElcin.

Orange was previously the administrator of the Babuk ransomware operation, which shut down after its ransomware attack on the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department.

Internal disputes allegedly erupted within the group over whether stolen law enforcement data should be publicly leaked, and after the data was leaked, the group splintered.

Following the split, Orange launched the RAMP forum on a Tor onion domain that Babuk had previously used.

Soon after its launch, RAMP experienced distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks that disrupted its availability. Orange publicly blamed former Babuk partners for the attacks, though the previous members denied responsibility to BleepingComputer, stating they had no interest in the forum.

The individual behind the Orange and Wazawaka aliases was later publicly identified by cybersecurity journalist Brian Krebs as Russian national Mikhail Matveev.

In an interview with Recorded Future's Dmitry Smilyanets, Matveev confirmed that he previously operated under the alias Orange and that he created RAMP using the former Babuk onion domain.

Matveev explained that the forum was initially created to repurpose Babuk's existing infrastructure and traffic. He claimed that RAMP ultimately generated no profit and was subjected to constant DDoS attacks, which led him to step away from managing it after it gained popularity.

In 2023, Matveev was indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice for his involvement in multiple ransomware operations, including Babuk, LockBit, and Hive, which targeted U.S. healthcare organizations, law enforcement agencies, and other critical infrastructure.

He was also sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control and placed on the FBI's most-wanted list, with the U.S. State Department offering a reward of up to $10 million for information leading to his arrest or conviction.